You already know how painful varicose veins can be. Your legs swell, discolor, and feel like bags of sand by the end of the day.
You may even have painful knots that feel like marbles running up and down your legs. It’s unlikely that this is the first time you have seen varicose veins.
You may have heard that they are signs of old age.
Varicose Veins Overview
What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins, medically known as varicosities, are dilated blood vessels formed as a result of excess pressure within superficial veins close to the skin’s surface. They’re so dilated that they bulge out of the skin’s surface in a tortuous, twisted, and tangled form resembling dense tree branches. They’re usually red or bluish-purple, and they’re usually seen on the legs, but they can also be formed on other parts of the body.
The following are some quick facts about varicose veins:
- Studies show that 1 in 3 individuals living in the US have varicose veins.
- Numerous risk factors may increase your chance of getting varicose veins, such as weight gains, pregnancy, family history, medical history, hormone therapy, taking birth control pills, and more.
- The root cause of varicose veins is a circulatory disorder known as chronic venous insufficiency.
- Varicose veins can be treated with minimally invasive procedures that cause no pain or discomfort and usually conclude within an hour with no downtime.
- The primary goals of varicose vein treatments are relieving symptoms, preventing complications, and improving cosmetic appearance.
Causes of Varicose Veins
Chronic venous insufficiency is the primary root cause of varicose veins.
Leg veins have one-way doors called vein valves that facilitate one-way blood circulation to the heart, preventing blood from flowing backward due to gravitational pull. The gradual collapse or weakening of vein valves makes blood pool in the leg veins, eventually increasing pressure on the vein walls, which, in turn, makes the superficial veins swell and protrude out from the skin in the form of varicose veins.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- Enlarged, twisted, and tortuous veins bulging from the skin’s surface.
- Dense clusters of spider veins just under the skin’s surface on the same area.
- Swollen ankles and legs.
- Itching, tingling, and aching sensations on the legs.
- Leg heaviness and exhaustion.
- Frequent leg cramps.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Hard and fatty deposits, known as lіроdеrmаtоѕсlеrоѕіѕ, under the skin.
- Changes in the skin’s color and texture — red, dry, itchy, and discolored skin.
- Non-healing wounds on the legs, also known as leg ulcers.
Risk Factors for Varicose Veins
- Family History: People with a family history of vein problems are most likely to experience the symptoms of vein disease at some point.
- Age: The risk of vein disease and varicose veins increases as you grow older, with men over 50 having a far higher risk of varicose veins.
- Sex: The risk of vein disease increases with estrogen levels. As such, women are more likely to get varicose veins than men, especially pregnant or post-menopausal women.
- Profession: The risk of vein disease increases if you spend long stretches of time sitting or standing still. As such, teachers, drivers, nurses, and those with desk jobs are more likely to get varicose veins.
- Others: Other prominent risk factors for varicose veins include weight gains, hormone therapy, birth control pills, a history of blood clots, and more.
Diagnosing Varicose Veins in TX
The vein doctors at our varicose vein treatment center in Texas conduct comprehensive tests and evaluations to identify and treat the root cause of your varicose veins. We believe in a comprehensive approach to vein care, i.e., treating the root cause of the problem to ensure lasting results. As such, your varicose vein diagnosis in TX will include the following:
- A physical examination to identify all the visible signs of vein disease.
- A discussion of your symptoms and experience.
- A discussion of your general goals, expectations, and lifestyle.
- A review of your complete medical history.
- A vascular imaging test called duplex ultrasound to visualize the blood flow in your leg veins and identify the presence (or absence) or venous insufficiency.
Varicose Vein Treatment Options in Texas
- Ablation: Radiofrequency and laser ablation involve using thermal or laser energy to destroy the abnormal veins and restore effective blood circulation to the heart.
- Sclerotherapy: This involves injecting foam or liquid medication into the diseased veins to seal (and destroy) the unhealthy blood vessels.
- Phlebectomy: The vein doctor physically removes the diseased veins via incisions on the skin’s surface.
- Leg Elevation: Elevating the legs while sleeping or sitting temporarily reduces the symptoms of vein disease.
- Compression Stockings: Wearing custom-fitted compression stockings temporarily reduces the symptoms of vein disease.
The Safety of Varicose Vein Treatments
Generally speaking, varicose vein treatment is a completely safe, comfortable, and effective procedure. Varicose vein treatments used to be complex and risky several decades ago — when open surgeries were the only options. However, minimally invasive varicose vein treatments, such as radiofrequency ablation and sclerotherapy, don’t involve any complications or major risks. However, it’s important to visit a reliable vein doctor in TX who can curate the treatment plan according to your specific needs.
I was absolutely 100% pleased with my whole experience. The staff were very nice and made me feel comfortable . I was extremely impressed with the results as well.
Good experience all around. The staff was very helpful and friendly and was not uncomfortable whatsoever.
Has an amazing staff that is very efficient and helpful!
Great experience all around. Thanks for everything!
It was a great experience and it all went smoothly will recommend to anyone.
Best surgeon I have ever had. Professional, clean, friendly. Quick recovery time and made the procedure as painless as possible.
Regain your Self-Confidence
We treat all our patients like they’re our only patients. Our vein doctors listen to your problems and examine your medical history to diagnose a treatment plan that’s meant just for you. They actively seek minimally-invasive treatments that conclude within an hour.
Regain your self-confidence and say goodbye to those welts and marks on your skin! Book a consultation at our vein treatment clinic in Houston today!