You already know how painful varicose veins can be. Your legs swell, discolor, and feel like bags of sand by the end of the day.
You may even have painful knots that feel like marbles running up and down your legs. It’s unlikely that this is the first time you have seen varicose veins.
You may have heard that they are signs of old age.
Varicose Veins Overview
What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins, medically known as varicosities, are dilated blood vessels formed as a result of excess pressure within superficial veins close to your skin’s surface. They’re so dilated that they bulge out of your skin’s surface in a tortuous, twisted, and tangled form resembling dense tree branches. They’re usually red or bluish-purple, and they’re usually seen on the legs, but they can also be formed on other parts of your body.
The following are some quick facts about varicose veins:
- Studies show that 1 in 3 individuals living in the US have varicose veins, so you’re not alone!
- Numerous risk factors may increase your chance of getting varicose veins, such as weight gains, pregnancy, family history, medical history, hormone therapy, taking birth control pills, and more. Do you fall into any of these categories?
- The root cause of varicose veins is a circulatory disorder known as chronic venous insufficiency. If you have this underlying disease, you need immediate vein treatment.
- We can treat varicose veins with minimally invasive procedures that cause no pain or discomfort and usually conclude within an hour with no downtime.
- Our varicose vein treatments aim to relieve symptoms, prevent complications, and improve cosmetic appearance.
Causes of Varicose Veins
Chronic venous insufficiency is the primary root cause of your varicose veins.
Leg veins have one-way doors called vein valves that facilitate one-way blood circulation to your heart, preventing blood from flowing backward due to gravitational pull. The gradual collapse or weakening of your vein valves makes blood pool in your leg veins, eventually increasing pressure on your vein walls, which, in turn, makes the superficial veins swell and protrude out from your skin in the form of varicose veins.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- Enlarged, twisted, and tortuous veins bulging from your skin’s surface.
- Dense clusters of spider veins just under your skin’s surface in the same area.
- Swollen ankles and legs.
- Itching, tingling, and aching sensations on your legs.
- Leg heaviness and exhaustion.
- Frequent leg cramps.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Hard and fatty deposits, known as lіроdеrmаtоѕсlеrоѕіѕ, under your skin.
- Changes in your skin’s color and texture — red, dry, itchy, and discolored skin.
- Non-healing wounds on your legs, also known as leg ulcers.
Risk Factors for Varicose Veins
- Family History: If you have a family history of vein problems, you are most likely to experience the symptoms of vein disease at some point.
- Age: The risk of vein disease and varicose veins increases as you grow older. If you’re over 50 years of age, you have a high risk of varicose veins.
- Sex: You have a high risk of varicose veins if you have high estrogen levels because of your biological sex, especially if you’re pregnant or post-menopausal. That’s why women are more likely to get varicose veins than men.
- Profession: The risk of vein disease increases if you spend long stretches of time sitting or standing still. As such, you have a high risk of varicose veins if you’re a teacher, driver, nurse, or have a desk job.
- Others: You may also have a high risk of varicose veins because of weight gains, hormone therapy, birth control pills, a history of blood clots, and more.
Diagnosing Your Varicose Veins in TX
At our varicose vein treatment center in Texas, our vein doctors conduct comprehensive tests and evaluations to identify and treat the root cause of your varicose veins. We believe in a comprehensive approach to vein care, i.e., treating the root cause of the problem to ensure lasting results. As such, your varicose vein diagnosis in TX will include the following:
- A physical examination to identify all the visible signs of vein disease.
- A discussion of your symptoms and experience.
- A discussion of your general goals, expectations, and lifestyle.
- A review of your complete medical history.
- A vascular imaging test called duplex ultrasound to visualize the blood flow in your leg veins and identify the presence (or absence) or venous insufficiency.
Your Varicose Vein Treatment Options in Texas
- Ablation: During radiofrequency and laser ablation, we use thermal or laser energy to destroy the abnormal veins and restore effective blood circulation to your heart.
- Sclerotherapy: During sclerotherapy, we inject foam or liquid medication into your diseased veins to seal (and destroy) the unhealthy blood vessels.
- Phlebectomy: During phlebectomy, we physically remove the diseased veins via incisions on your skin’s surface.
- Leg Elevation: Elevating your legs while sleeping or sitting temporarily reduces the symptoms of vein disease.
- Compression Stockings: Wearing custom-fitted compression stockings temporarily reduces the symptoms of vein disease.
We Ensure the Safety of Your Varicose Vein Treatments
Generally speaking, varicose vein treatment is a completely safe, comfortable, and effective procedure. Varicose vein treatments used to be complex and risky several decades ago — when open surgeries were the only options. However, our vein doctors only provide minimally invasive varicose vein treatments, such as radiofrequency ablation and sclerotherapy. Our vein treatments don’t involve any complications or major risks. That’s because our vein doctors in TX curate the treatment plan according to your specific needs to ensure optimal results.
I was absolutely 100% pleased with my whole experience. The staff were very nice and made me feel comfortable . I was extremely impressed with the results as well.
Good experience all around. The staff was very helpful and friendly and was not uncomfortable whatsoever.
Has an amazing staff that is very efficient and helpful!
Great experience all around. Thanks for everything!
It was a great experience and it all went smoothly will recommend to anyone.
Best surgeon I have ever had. Professional, clean, friendly. Quick recovery time and made the procedure as painless as possible.
Regain your Self-Confidence
We treat all our patients like they’re our only patients. Our vein doctors listen to your problems and examine your medical history to diagnose a treatment plan that’s meant just for you. They actively seek minimally-invasive treatments that conclude within an hour.
Regain your self-confidence and say goodbye to those welts and marks on your skin! Book a consultation at our vein treatment clinic in Houston today!